Deirdre's Tri Stuff and More

Check out my triathlon experiences and other notes. 2006 ~ the year I became an Ironman!

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Observations before the Big Day

The first surprise here was the undeveloped length of the Queen K that the bike goes through for quite some time. I guess I was thinking Hawaii -- beaches, hotels, palm trees, you know the beautiful brochures. Well the lava fields are truly desolate looking and span both sides of the highway. Sure, I've watched the races forever, but it just doesn't sink in until you see it for real -- at least not for me.

Then there was the swim start. It isn't on a large beach like I expected. (Again, selective memory at play from all those NBC specials). You literally walk down a set of steps to a tiny beach -- it could fit into my back yard. Then the waves hit you and continually push and pull you while you stand there. I guess they put some type of ramp up to exit the swim on race day -- I'll see tomorrow.

Anyway, the trip has been awesome. We are staying about 27 miles north of the race venue, so it is very quiet. The house is just incredible. We were supposed to be in a 4 bedroom house, but got moved to a 3 bedroom due to the earthquake. The only damage here is our bedroom's automatic blinds were stuck until Bill got them down. One of them got stuck down which wasn't a problem. However, we returned tonight to find maintenance had removed the blind. No problem -- Chuck is already in bed and we are not far behind. We're leaving here at 4:45 AM, so early to bed is good.

Now that I've done an Ironman and I've come here, I realize that there is one more challenge remaining. This race is a bigger gamble. It is often said that nutrition is the fourth discipline. Well, conditions are the fifth here in Kona (those in Madison last month will say -- rightfully so -- that conditions factor into all races). The heat, winds, surf, and Madame Pele are unmatched in potential for ferocity. We swam the course after the Underpants Run on Thursday and there were times I simply moved from left to right 3-4 feet over my spot on the coral.

I never thought I'd be here to witness the race. Now that I am, I really want to finish this race.

Damn it.

Go Chuck -- have a safe and fun race :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

The last time I watched Kona on TV I was amazed at the large stretches of isolation on the bike.

Hopefully the weather will be nice for Chuck!

Jodi

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home