Deirdre's Tri Stuff and More

Check out my triathlon experiences and other notes. 2006 ~ the year I became an Ironman!

Monday, May 28, 2007

Soccer Mom . . . . Triathlete

Race Face . . . .

This weekend I truly merged my roles as "soccer mom" and triathlete. Liam's team played in a nearby tournament on Saturday and Sunday. I needed to do some workouts . . . .

Saturday we started with an 8:00 AM game. Unfortunately it was a loss AND it rained (insult to injury?). Once the game was done, I went on a 10 mile run with another mom, Tina. It drizzled off and on and felt good. My foot was sore, but otherwise held up fine. We played again at 2:00, so we arrived back in time to get cleaned up and fire up the grill for lunch. The boys won the game and put us in a spot to make the top two teams for the playoffs on Sunday.

Our Sunday game was another early one -- 9:00 AM. Upon arriving, I calculated that we could nab second place with a win by four or more goals. The second game on Saturday included a goal for the other team that didn't actually cross into the goal -- I didn't want that to be what kept us out of the playoffs. Our guys played great and we were right where we needed to be and then the other team scored! We needed one more to put us back into second and one of our guys made it in the final minute!! Talk about nail biter! The only factor left was the last game between the two undefeated teams -- as long as they didn't tie, we'd be in the playoffs. At halftime, they were locked in 0-0 tie, which continued until the last few minutes when the WV team finally scored. I was at home riding the Eagleman course on CompuTrainer and awaiting a call from the coach to let me know whether the team was in the playoff. I was never so happy to cut a workout short -- although I did get 27 miles in before we had to head back for the game.

Our team did a good job, but just couldn't make a goal, so West Virginia won 4-0. We were happy to have done so well and as I know so well, runner up isn't too bad either. Best of all, we all had fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home